Thursday, December 5, 2013

Mens sana in corpore sano.

One of the benefits of penning down your feelings, aside from retrospection, is that you always have advice waiting to welcome you with open arms upon your next return visit, which, is usually when you are looking for some direction in the first place.

But now I realize I only the time and heart for people who have the time and heart for kindness, smiles, positivity, coffee with 10% cream, honesty.
These past few days I grew a little. I chose to do the right thing for myself instead of the one that would've been the easy way out. One of those decisions I would've messed up on at a younger age, a year ago even. 

Well, the right thing remains hard to do - it somehow never manages to coincide with the easiest path, and I do wish a lot more people were more honest sometimes. It’s like exercise, you get back what you put in. It can also sour things up really quickly if your actions never sync up to your words. It’s all fun and games till one party feels deceived, and a little disrespected.

These days I’ve been really addicted to kickboxing. What started out as a feeling of dread one evening towards the end of August (one usually feels such when commencing a diet/exercise regimen....again) has turned into making it to the gym 4 times a week and trying really hard to stop myself from continuing at such a pace because of a foot injury and the beginnings of a cold. Who knew. I’ve also started perusing body building sites to get motivation and diet tips, not that I want to enter those competitions, but I’ve reached a level where I can start looking to sculpt certain parts of my body. Again, who knew?

I’m really grateful for the fact that kickboxing has always been there for me whenever I’ve turned to the sport, and has only given me benefits, both mental and physical, that have exceeded my expectations. They say mind over matter, but for me, mens sana in corpore sano – strength in body, clear in mind, lofty in ideals. While the right thing remains hard to do – the new-found discipline instilled in me through kickboxing has managed to keep me on the right path. 

No comments: